|Crunchy burnt sugar crust over a rich smooth creamy custard....|
Heavy cream-500 ml
Caster Sugar-100 gm + for dusting
|Contrasting layers of burnt sugar and custard|
- Preheat oven to 150°C.
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar until pale and fluffy in a large bowl.
- Take cream in a pan, scrape the seeds from the vanilla pod into the cream.Throw in the scraped pods too.
- Heat the cream just until boiling and remove from heat.Discard the pods now.
- Now pour the cream over the beaten egg yolk mix whisking continuously.
- Pour this into six ramekins through a sieve.
- Scoop off the foam with a spoon and discard.
- Place the ramekins in a larger baking pan(roasting pan for eg.) and place this in the preheated oven.
- Pour boiling temperature water into the larger pan just until the water level is half the height of the ramekins.(Bain Marie technique)
- Bake for about 40-45 mins or the center of the ramekins is wobbly with the edges set.
- Remove the ramekins from the water and cool on wire rack for about 15-30 mins.Then chill in the refrigerator preferably overnight before serving.
- Before serving dust caster sugar over the surface of the custard.Spread with a spoon for an even layer.Using a blow torch caramelize the top sugar layer evenly.
- A broiler can also be used for this if a blow torch is not available.
- Place it back into the refrigerator for a couple more minutes to cool.